WhatsApp has started rolling out the new update with an old & most popular “Text Status” feature back.
Back in February, WhatsApp came with a new concept for “Status” by allowing users to share the short video, GIF or picture as a Status for 24 hours, much like Snapchat or Instagram Stories & removed the long so-called “Text Status” feature & “Contacts” section.
But this game plan was not widely accepted & appreciated by the WhatsApp users & demanded back for “Text Status”, the feature which was since long a part of WhatsApp.
Android, iOS & Windows Phone users need to update their WhatsApp from their respective App Store to access the “Text Status” feature. This comeback feature will now be available under a new section called “About” in the app.
- To set text status in About section simply tap onto Settings from the top-right drop-down menu, there you’ll see current text status below the profile name, just like before.
- Tap onto profile name & profile setting will get open where you’ll see profile image, name & “About and phone number”.
- Again tap onto “About and phone number” which opens About section where current text status is displayed.
The default status options can also be used, like Busy, Available, Battery about to die or At the Gym and more. But users can also add their own messages, just like before.
Settings -> Your profile name -> About and phone number -> About
The removed “Contacts” section which allowed users to view their contacts alphabetically, under one tab can now be accessed by either of the ways.
- Search for a contact in conversations
- By tapping on a green icon on the bottom right opens up your contact list of the WA users, with the text statuses of each contact listed below their name.
Both these features have been embedded back into the WhatsApp along with the photo or video Status feature.
A WhatsApp spokesperson delivered the following statement to TechCrunch.
We heard from our users that people missed the ability to set a persistent text-only update in their profile, so we’ve integrated this feature into the ‘About’ section in profile settings. Now, the update will appear next to profile names anytime you view contacts, such as when creating a new chat or looking at Group info. At the same time, we’re continuing to build on the new Status feature that gives people fun and engaging ways to share photos, videos and GIFs with their friends and family throughout their day.